Application: Cognitive Testing Instruments
How might a clinician determine a clientâs cognitive abilities or how might a clinician integrate testing data reflecting a clientâs cognitive abilities into a therapeutic intervention? Evaluating a test used to measure cognitive ability takes skill to recognize what type of cognitive assessment is most appropriate based upon the clientâs presenting issues.
For this Assignment, review the interactive media, Virtual Client. Revisit the virtual client that you have selected and review the presenting issues. Consider what types of cognitive tests are appropriate to use to evaluate his or her cognitive abilities based on the client information. In addition, review the hypothetical cognitive tests results and analyze these results in light of your clientâs presenting problems. Consider how these results might be used in the clientâs treatment plan. In this assignment you are not being asked to establish the presence or absence of an intellectual disability. Instead, you are being asked to consider the results from a test of intelligence to assist you in understanding the causes of the client’s presenting problem and in formulating a plan of treatment.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
The Assignment (5â7 pages):
- Summarize the presenting problem of the virtual client and create a hypothesis.
Select a cognitive test from the Mental Measurements Yearbook. (
You are to select a test that is not listed in this weekâs Learning Resources.)
- Evaluate and explain why this test is most appropriate to assess the clientâs cognitive skills and justify your selection.
- Evaluate the Mock Assessment Results provided below.
- Explain whether the evaluation results support or invalidate your hypothesis of the presenting problem.
- Justify your response.
- Briefly describe which additional tests or assessment methods that you might consider for your client.
- Explain two ways that you might integrate the evaluation results into client treatment planning and why.
Mock Assessment Results
Locate your virtual client in the following list.
Results of Assessment for CHC Factors:
- Virtual Client 2: Weakness in G
Age â 22
Race â Hispanic
Gender â Female
Ethnicity â Puerto Rican
Veteran Status – Enduring Freedom veteran
Immigrant Status â American citizen
Language â English, Spanish
Sensory Impairment â None
Motor Impairment â Fine and gross
Medical Conditions â Severely injured dominant hand
Presenting Problem â Failing in college
Affective Symptoms â Mood swings
Behavioral Symptoms â Impulsivity
Cognitive Symptoms â Failing first semester of school
Family and Support Systems â Conflict with family and partner
Results Intelligence Testing â Weakness in Gs
Results of NEO PI-R â High, neuroticism