First, read Chapters 2, 3, and 4 in The Essential Workplace Conflict Handbook, regarding how diversity and inclusion (Chapter 2) and team building (Chapter 3) inform your understanding of the Define piece of the DMAIC process model. Chapter 4 moves into an examples-based consideration of the problem definition, from a narrative perspective. Also, be sure to read the DEFINE Supplementary Document.In your initial discussion post, address the following:
- What elements are involved in defining the problem? Why?
- Why is accurate use of Define so critical in successful resolution of organizational conflict?
- How can you be sure that your Define piece is accurate?
- What structural issues may be involved in the Define piece?
- What unintended consequences may emerge? (In Modules Seven and Eight, you will think about the C, or Control.)
- Why is it so important to understand diversity and inclusion when seeking to define the problem?