Project #2: Managerâ€™s Deskbook
Company Background & Operating Environment
Use the assigned case study for information about â€œthe company.â€
Policy Issue & Plan of Action
The Managerâ€™s Deskbook contains issue specific policies and implementation procedures which are required to mitigate risks to the company and to otherwise ensure good governance of the companyâ€™s operations. The Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) and key CISO staff members held a kick-off meeting last week to identify issue specific policies which should be added to the companyâ€™s policy system in the IT Governance category. The policies will be disseminated throughout the company by incorporating them into the Managerâ€™s Deskbook. The required issue specific policies are:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
1.Data Breach Response Policy
2.Preventing / Controlling Shadow IT Policy
3.Management and Use of Corporate Social Media Accounts Policy
For the purposes of this assignment, you will create a policy recommendations briefing package (containing an Executive Summary and draft policies) and submit that to your instructor for grading.
Note: In a â€œreal worldâ€ environment, the policy recommendations briefing package would be submitted to the IT Governance board for discussion and vetting. After revisions and voting, a package containing the accepted policies would be sent to all department heads and executives for comment and additional vetting. These comments would be combined and integrated into the policies and sent out for review again. It usually takes several rounds of review and comments before the policies can be sent to the Chief of Staffâ€™s office for forwarding to the Corporate Governance Board. During the review & comments period, the policies will also be subjected to a thorough legal review by the companyâ€™s attorneys. Upon final approval by the Corporate Governance Board, the policies will be adopted and placed into the Managerâ€™s Deskbook. This entire process can take 9 to 12 months, if not longer.
Your Task Assignment
As a staff member supporting the CISO, you have been asked to research and then draft an issue specific policy for each of the identified issues. These policies are to be written for MANAGERS and must identify the issue, explain what actions must be taken to address the issue (the companyâ€™s â€œpolicyâ€), state the required actions to implement the policy, and name the responsible / coordinating parties (by level, e.g. department heads, or by title on the organization chart). After completing your research and reviewing sample policies from other organizations, you will then prepare an â€œapproval draftâ€ for each issue specific policy.
The purpose of each issue specific policy is to address a specific IT governance issue that requires cooperation and collaboration between multiple departments within an organization.
Each issue specific policy should be no more than two typed pages in length (single space paragraphs with a blank line between).
You will need to be concise in your writing and only include the most important elements for each policy.
You may refer to an associated â€œprocedureâ€ if necessary, e.g. a Procedure for Requesting Issuance of a Third Level Domain Name (under the companyâ€™s Second Level Domain name) or a Procedure for Requesting Authorization to Establish a Social Media Account.
Your â€œapproval draftsâ€ will be combined with a one page Executive Summary (explaining why these issue specific policies are being brought before the IT Governance Board).
- Review NISTâ€™s definition of an â€œIssue Specific Policyâ€ and contents thereof (NIST SP 800-14 p. 14)
- Review the weekly readings and resource documents posted in the classroom. Pay special attention to the resources which contain â€œissuesâ€ and â€œbest practicesâ€ information for:
- Review NIST guidance for required / recommended security controls
- If required, find additional sources which provide information about the IT security issues which require policy solutions.
Data Breach Response
Preventing / Controlling Shadow IT
NIST SP 800-53 Access Control (AC) control family (for Social Media policy)
NIST SP 800-53 Incident Response (IR) control family (for Data Breach policy)
- NIST SP 800-53 System and Services Acquisition (SA) control family (Domain Name, Shadow IT, Website Governance)
- Prepare briefing package with approval drafts of the two IT related policies for the Managerâ€™s Deskbook. Your briefing package must contain the following:
- Use a professional format for your policy documents and briefing package. Your policy documents should be consistently formatted and easy to read.
- Common phrases do not require citations. If there is doubt as to whether or not information requires attribution, provide a footnote with publication information or use APA format citations and references.
- You are expected to write grammatically correct English in every assignment that you submit for grading. Do not turn in any work without (a) using spell check, (b) using grammar check, (c) verifying that your punctuation is correct and (d) reviewing your work for correct word usage and correctly structured sentences and paragraphs.
- Executive Summary
- â€œApproval Draftsâ€ for
oData Breach Response Policy
oPreventing / Controlling Shadow IT Policy
oManagement and Use of Corporate Social Media Accounts Policy
As you write your policies, make sure that you address IT and cybersecurity concepts using standard terminology.
Submit For Grading
Submit your Managerâ€™s Deskbook briefing package in MS Word format (.docx or .doc file) for grading using your assignment folder. (Attach the file.)